Thursday 8 May 2014

Peer Feedback on Cover and Disk Label

          Being as I have finished front cover and my on disk label, I have decided it would be best if I had a couple of my peers to give me their feedback on my work. This will help me improve my work further and give me a better idea of how other users would perceive it.


User F

Cover
Overall think that the design for the cover has been very well thought out, and certainly a lot of time must have been taken to carefully think about the different elements that were going to go into the title. For example, on the back cover the used of the three different pictures are very nicely linked in with the three different subtitles. Staying with the rear cover, the font choices had been very well throughout out, obviously linking in well with the theme of the game. Continuing with the font theme the contrasting colours work well for ease of reading. Moving to the front cover, there has been a lot of time spent on this and this is very evident too. The combination of the textured background, the highly detailed shield, claw marks and burnt edge all work very well indeed. Personally I cannot think of any improvements for the cover.

My response - I am pleased the overall tone of my cover comes across easily and that the elements I spent a long time creating, are well received. The pictures and subtitles on the back come from my research of multiple PC cases. I am pleased small details such as font have been noticed as I did spend time choosing the best front that could be easily read but also convey the harsh, medieval tone of my project. I am glad the elements of my front cover have been easily understood (The burnt edge is noticed by the user and actually looks like a burnt corner) and that they think it looks good.

Disk Label
In regards to the disk label, my first impressions are that it is very good that a general “house theme” or “house style” has been incorporated with the use of the fonts, colour scheme and of course the shield too. I like the way the shield has been incorporated into the design, with half being left off and the rest being left for space for that of information on the disk. A new feature on this disk is that of draconian ring, which adds a very nice effect to the disk and promotes another area of interest, whilst also leaving space around the bottom of the small print information to be placed too. In regards to the specification points I feel that they have all been met, as well as going above and beyond the specification too. I also like that the finishing touch of placing the disc logo on a backdrop is a nice for the presentation – obviously when printed this will not be featured however for the purpose of the presentation element this is a good idea.

My response - Similar to the cover, I am glad the theme of my project comes across easily from just viewing the disc with no prior knowledge. I was very cautious where I placed the draconic ring and what colour to make the small print. I think by choosing a blend mode on the ring and a white font for the print, both things look good, but are also practical (as the small print is easily seen)

User S

Cover
The DVD case most certainly captures the intended feel. The medieval mead drinking warriors of the Ragnarok epic series shine through across the entirety of the DVD case. Following on from this, It is easy to see that this is PC game from the layout of the rear of the case which certainly warrants credit to the creator for their research. One particular aspect that I like and one which clearly took a large amount of time was the reflective shield which takes center stage on the front cover. The shield clearly shows the reflection of a 'Ye Old' bar which again adds to the feel of the times represented by this franchise. Overall, it is a fantastic piece of work and from my perspective, one I cannot find fault with.

My response - Similar to F, the style and feel of the cover I was creating has come across to S. I am glad that the rear of my case looks believable as I did spend a lot of time researching common themes between PC game cases. I am pleased small nuances such as the bar reflection in the shield are noticed and look natural to the user. 

Disk Label
The on disk label continues the feel of the medieval, epic adventure story which takes place in Ragnarok. The use of blood stains and the map showing through the solid black background with the leather effect, definitely aids the perception that this disk label is battle warn. One aspect which i would possibly change  is the shield, which features on the right of the label. The straight thick line which  separates the two sides of the disk is slightly too hard for me and therefore would need to be changed. Following on from this, I would minimize the size of the shield to show of more of the dragon around the outside edge. This is another fantastic piece of work and one that not only looks professional, but engaging.

My response - I am glad my theme is clearly seen on the disk label as it was meant to look worn and ragged. I did experiment with the shield (making it smaller, changing the position etc.) but the changes didn't look very good. The small shield didn't make the disc look as impressive, moving it further out/in made the disc feel 'wonky' and the other elements didn't flow because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment