Friday 28 February 2014

Elements of the Front Cover - Wax

          One of my ideas for creating a typical idea of fantasy was a wax stain on the front cover, as if the book had been sat next to candle and the wax had melted down the side and onto the cover of the book, adding another element of mystery as to the life the book has had. After much searching I found a suitable wax texture and used the selection brush to obtain a natural looking blot. I consulted with a textiles and costume student as to how wax would look after it had dried on black leather, put their advice into practice using a combination of blending modes, colour replacement and lighting techniques to try and achieve a natural looking finish.



          I wanted a seamless, natural look wax splat and I don't feel this filled that criteria so I have decided to abandon this element of my project as it looks to obvious and out of place, therefore taking attention away from the other nuances on the cover which are more important in creating a convincing, natural look. If I come across other techniques during my research that I think will improve the look of the wax then I will explore those options.

No comments:

Post a Comment