Sunday 9 February 2014

Brainstorming

` Initial Research

         Before I began working on any ideas, I decided to look at the most popular genres in the games industry. (I knew I wanted to do games from the offset as they are one of my main interests) I constructed the table below to give me a baseline to work from, I could then either use these as a guide or I could defy convention and steer clear of these common designs. Although there are only 6 genres below, I have included all subcategories within them such as tactical, first person, third person and light gun within the shooter category. I also researched an additional 9 genres but concluded that they were too much of a niché category and were not the type of product I'd be aiming to produce. 


Across all genres, the majority of covers had epic landscapes. The character was front and centre and in the background there were small details that only became apparent after carefully looking at the cover for a period of time. I plan to take this approach when looking into the disk label and trailer, looking at common themes within each genre and those that span the entirety of them. Once I have chosen the type/s of game I wish to take further, I will do more research into that presentation style. 

Gif - http://thegboatdotnet.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/mind-blown1.gif%3Fw%3D479

No comments:

Post a Comment