Saturday 29 March 2014

Cover - Back and Spine in Depth


         Whilst I have addressed the main focus points of my front cover in the "Elements of the front cover" blog posts, the following paragraphs provide detail regarding the back cover and spine.


      The top half of the back cover (right) took a similar design layout to Bethesda games as I felt this showcased a lot of features in an organised manner. The "Hookline" (pink box) was something I was keen to implement as it is a common aspect of video game cases. I used the same font that I used for my title, thus giving some consistency to the cover. Similarly I used a gold colour for the text continuing the theme to the back cover, but also making the text stand out against the blue and white background. Similar to other cases the hookline is worded to spark curiosity and uses a larger font to catch attention. 
     The description (green box) also follows the same format as a large proportion of video game cases. With the same same colour and a smaller font it provides a more detailed explanation of the game. I found the text used in the hookline to be hard to read when scaled down, therefore I found a more rustic but legible text. It is placed to the left as it fleshes out the cover whilst giving focus to the picture's elements on the right. 
     The features list (rust box) has a similar layout to a lot of video game cases I looked at, The screenshots are placed an even distance apart and are noticeably different. I used a simple font for the title text as it had to stand out but be easily read, this is teamed with a slightly lighter version of the hookline font colour with a tinge of orange. The feature description text differentiates itself from the other text by being in white and italics, thus drawing attention.  


     The bottom of the case contains official icons pertaining to the technology, rights and ownership of the content. The Pegi, technology and accolade icons (yellow boxes) are taken directly from the companies official website. I have placed them where they commonly are on other cases and spaced them evenly apart. The IGN E3 accolade was taken from a case that had won the award and placed in a standalone spot, as opposed to on the front cover where they usually are.
     The address, websites and barcode (blue boxes) are typical case elements, the game and company usually have separate websites that are printed on the case, I have emulated this and placed them where they are on the majority of cases. The address of the company is put above the copyright section, I have made my own fictional address for the sake of privacy so I could put it on the case. Below is a paragraph regarding copyright, this is comprised of official copyright statements that I have sourced from games featuring their technology, or their website. In keeping with the fiction I have also included my own copyright statement regarding Mixed Productions. Lastly, I obtained the barcode from a stock image site. 
     The Microsoft elements (rust boxes) were taken from a high resolution scan of a PC game after noticing that their logo was on most if not all game cases, the feature logos and warning were also taken from a Microsoft GFWL case.
     The system requirements (pink box) is a concoction of the various layouts I have seen whilst looking at game cases. I selected this one in particular as it was very simply laid out, easy to understand and provided an indication of the scalability of hardware due to the minimum and recommended system requirements. I used the gold and blue colours as they stood out well against the black background and also easily differentiated themselves apart, making it easy to determine which were minimum and recommended requirements. 

     The spine was very simple, as are most video game case spines. The PC DVD logo at the top (pink box) was cut and placed onto the cover from a high res scan of a cover. The title (orange box) is the original title, rotated and scaled down to fit, as is the developer logo (blue box).




No comments:

Post a Comment