Thursday 13 March 2014

Elements of the Front Cover - Logo Update

          After using a lot of techniques on my previous shield attempt, it didn't match my idea for the logo. I thought about the type of material it would have been made from, highly shined metal, and thought of real world metals that would be a good match. I researched chrome textures and found a tutorial on how to create one. I followed the tutorial to the letter utilising techniques such as bevel and emboss, contour, satin, gradient overlay and stroke with a convincing looking final image. However, it didn't fully meet my demands so I loaded up skyrim and took a few screenshots in bars with thought to the perspective of the book and the reflection that would be seen on the book. 


After choosing the picture I felt best encapsulated the mood, I used curve to brighten the image as it looked too dark. Then using filter - distort - wave, I tweaked the image resulting in it looking like it was being reflected off of a metal surface. Then edit - transform - perspective, shifted the image inwards 30 degrees giving the impression the objects are higher than they actually were. Finally I flipped it vertical as all of my shadows are/will be at a 30 degree angle, and this gave the lends to the idea that the shadows are being cast by the reflected candle. 

 I changed the tutorial's gradient to something more in line with my cover's overall design. I changed the gradient to warmer colours and set it to overlay at 30 degrees. This gave my shield a warm outline like that which would actually be cast. Lastly, I used filter - render - clouds, filter - sketch - chrome and select - modify - contract and set the layer to 80% opacity allowing the candles shine to be more evident. After merging all layers and duplicating the final image into my cover, I applied a drop shadow with a  soft light blending mode giving the logo more depth.

    Reflection final result:                                                     Shield Final Result



Chrome tutorial - http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-make-chrome-in-photoshop/

No comments:

Post a Comment